So many of us are turning to a healthier lifestyle. Some are fitting more exercise into their day. Some are clearing their homes of toxic cleaning products. Some are eating more vegetables and less meat. If any of that describes you, you’re going to love this Vegetarian Chili recipe. Packed with as much flavor as the meat-based version, but with fewer calories. Not a fan of tofu? No problem. You can customize the ingredients as you please. Remember to turn on the range hood fan at least 15 minutes before you start cooking, and to leave it running for at least 15 minutes after you’ve finished cooking.
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine tofu, garlic, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrot until onions are translucent. Add tofu mixture.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, beans, and spices. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste.