You will definitely want to turn on that range hood fan for this one. Open up the windows, too. The delectable aroma that wafts from your kitchen out to the street will have your neighbors’ mouths watering. Be prepared to find them lining up at your door. Everyone will want a taste of this yummy loaf.
I must say that I’m not a huge fan of the cooler temperatures that come with fall. I really do crave the super hot temperatures of summer. But, if there’s anything that makes me look forward to autumn, it’s the wonderful bounty of harvest fruits and vegetables that weren’t available during those hot summer months.
Pumpkin and almonds are now coming into their own. We’ve been harvesting the earliest varieties since late July. But, now is their time to take the spotlight. I’m happy to allow them to do just that with this sweet bread.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Almond and Pumpkin Loaf
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/2 tsp each ground nutmeg and salt
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 up unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Combine flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin and ricotta cheese.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour mixture and pumpkin mixture alternately. Pour the loaf mixture into a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, or until cake tester inserted into loaf comes out clean.